SUMMER FUN!
July 18th, Friday
Our neighbor, Heather, has a great swimming pool. They haven't fenced in their yard, so it is kind of a 'free-for-all' when she sets up the pool. We actually been over to play several times, but I only took pictures the first time. I'm starting to realize that I'm never going to be able to use all the pictures I take! So, I'm cutting back a bit. Breoni had a great time playing. There were lots of other kids and mom's out trying to cool off. Breoni is really willing to have her sunscreen put on. She even got a tan line form playing in the pool. We stayed about an hour (or more) playing. Everyone brought treats and it was a bit like a buffet for the kids. It is really amazing to watch toddlers interact with each other, mimic each other and try to emulate the older kids. I love living in a neighborhood where there are LOTS of kids Breoni's age!
Later, that evening Jerry had a softball game. Jerry plays softball every summer. And, last year he played in the fall also. I used to be able to watch, but now I spend all my time with Breoni on the playgrounds. When Breoni was young we took a picture of her in a little baseball outfit in Jerry's mit... we did the same? What do you think? Do they look alike? Kyrie is on the yellow background, Breoni on the stripes!
Today, we played in our own yard! We drew chalk pictures on the cement, blew bubbles, picked petunias and played in our 'little boring' pool. But, We still had a really good time! Breoni just loves being outside. She runs and runs around the yard. Stopping often to tell Mommy, "Come on" while curling her fingers towards her. It is precious everytime! She is such a delightful child... happy, energetic, curious, brave, strong! I love watching her play and am so grateful that she wants me to play right along. She has taken to 'stripping' and running around naked in the back yard. I guess she has a streak of FREE SPIRIT in her!
July 20th, Sunday
We started the day at church. After we had lunch and loaded everyone into the truck to go for a hike. We went to Millcreek Canyon (my old neighborhood!) to hike to Dog Lake. We didn't make it to the lake for several reasons... but the biggest one is... WE are out of shape and packing kids doesn't help! And, it also starting to POUR down rain. We just barely made it to the truck before the cloud burst!
July 21st and 22nd, Monday and Tuesday
Pretty standard days around the house and a trip to gymnastics. Breoni was eating Lucky Charms in her Slyvester mug. Drinking the milk was more like spilt milk! But, she has a mind of her own. She love her new Bear jammies that we got in Alaska.And, she had some "almost" naked time play in the 'landscape island' in our front yard. There is a big rock in the middle of the space that she loves to climb on. If you look closely, you will see the 'stamps' she gets at gymnastics. She always wants one on her belly! And, of course, she's got her HOPPY! It is going to be so fun to read her the VELVETEEN RABBIT when she gets a bit older.
July 23rd and 24th, Wednesday and Thursday
We spent both of these days finishing our playground (FINALLY!). We started this project in may with the digging out of the pit and the building of the rock wall. WE didn't actually do that...we paid to have it done. Then, Jerry covered the area in weed paper. We thought we were creating this HUGE space, come to find out, NOPE! We had to get really creative about how to get all the items we wanted in. You can see that we have swings (I think the POST swing is totally cool!). I'm really glad we found this option because otherwise we would have had to give up swings and Breoni loves to swing. All the bags on the ledge are the 'rubberized mulch' we ended up getting only for under the rock wall. I really wanted to get it everywhere, but it was just too expensive.
After we got all the gravel in, we covered it with another layer of weed protection.
We did the gravel to create a drainage area. Hopefully, this will extend the life of the wood chips! Jerry added some extra 'rocks' to the wall since Breoni is so small right now. She can already climb it all by herself! What a kid! The rock wall actually ends above the main play area. Again, something we had to do to get in all the 'FUN' we could. It is amazing how 'soft' it feels to walk on the rubberized mulch.
Now, it was time for the BIG job... taking that HUGE pile of wood chips back. Jerry did tons of loads with the wheelbarrow. I was using the ATV. We'd fill two big garbage cans and bungie them on and I'd go dump them. I was also in charge of spreading and leveling the wood chips once they were in the play ground area. Breoni, always the helper, was right out there with us both days bringing gravel and wood chips in her own wheelbarrow! She is a trooper!




THE FINISHED PRODUCT
The swingset has changeable parts. We have two bucket swings, a belt swing and the trapeze bar. You can barely see that her horse found a new home in the playground. Under the lower level on the tree house is a sand pile and under the upper deck is the gymnastics bar Jerry made for Breoni for Christmas. The ladder provides access to the lower deck and the rock wall to the upper deck. And, of course, with two girls, we felt we should have two slides. We opted for the two different sizes for more options! We are so excited to have this major project done.




July 25th, Friday
We headed up to the Unitah Mountains for an ATV ride. We got Breoni a new helmut that day, becasue her other one (with the face guard is just to heavy for her!). She is totally cool about wearing both her helmut and her googles. I need to get a new helmut for me. The one I have is just to small. I get 'fabric burns' on my cheeks after we go and the face guard smacks Breoni and Kyrie on the head. So, for now, I'm also going to get a helmut like Breoni's. Breoni loves going riding. I imagine that she is going to want one of her own as soon as she is old enough!
We packed a picnic lunch. We ate in a shady area (with lots of bugs!). We were looking for the 'spring' but weren't able to find it. Maybe next time!
We had a great time. It is really nice to know that you can go out on well groomed, well marked trails. We are so lucky in Utah to have so many recreational opportunties! Kyrie slept almost the entire time. Breoni zonked out on the way back.



Utah is so beautiful. I took about 50 pictures of the mountains and all the different wildflowers. All the different types of trees. But, alas, don't really want to 'upload' all those, so just this one will have to do!
July 26th, SaturdayAfter Breoni's Birthday (another post!), we went to a family wedding! I feel so lucky to have such beautiful children. LUCKY AND BLESSED IMMENSELY!





















No comments:
Post a Comment